In July 2016 Minesto launched a tender for the provision of a tether rope to be used for its Deep Green tidal power plant. Off course FibreMax also signed up for the tender and had the best solution in the end, which resulted in the order for the main tether of 110 metres with a breaking strength of 6500kN!!
The longest parallel wound tether in the world!
Imagine that you are standing on a beach, flying a kite in the wind. You feel the strong lift force from the kite in the rope as the wind tries to carry the kite away. As you move the kite sideways, you notice that it flies fast – way faster than the wind is blowing.
If you would attach a turbine to the kite and put it in the ocean, where a water current flows instead of the wind blowing, you would have the concept of Deep Green, Minesto’s patented and awarded ocean energy power plant.
This complete structure is attached to the bottom with an ingenious end fitting and the 110 metres tether. To make a tether this high-tech FibreMax found a great partner in DSM Dyneema.
DSM Dyneema - DM20
One of the big challenges was to find a suitable fibre that could withstand the enormous forces and last for years. The solution for this challenge came from DSM Dyneema with DM20. This fibre is creep resistant, has the highest strength to weight ratio and excellent fatique resistance.
After a lot of engineering, investing and testing they came up with a special multiple assembled yarn and custom twist. This yarn enables us the make the strongest possible tether, that can withstand the forces of nature for years to come!
- We have moved !!
- Minesto Deep Green - World's longest parallel wound tether
- World's 1st synthetic pendant for CAT rope shovel
- Synthetic IBS ropes for Marion 8200 dragline
- Lightweight crane pendants with breaking strength of 680mT
- Stronger and lighter crane pendants
- The rise of synthetic rope products in the crane industry
- Aramid breakloadtest
- FibreMax supplies tether for offshore application
- Successful break load test of 710mT (6972kN)